These rules govern the SW WA Tamale Festival at Washougal Washington, ” (the “Contest”) being conducted by SW WA LULAC #47013 on Saturday, June 29th, 2019.
To participate in the contest, you must complete an official entry registration form including first and last name, complete address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, email address and category in which the contestant will submit a tamale (Meat, Non-Meat/Veg or Dessert), and submit the form via email to SW WA LULAC #47013. Forms may be mailed to the address on the Entry Form and MUST arrive by June 10, 2019. Registration is also available online on the SW WA Tamale Contest website: www.swwatamalefest.com.
Request for refunds will be reviewed case by case basis & no refunds after June 1, 2019.
Limit one (1) entry per individual/organization/company, per category. Any contestant who wishes to compete in multiple categories must complete and submit an entry form for each category in which contestant wants to compete.
Each tamale entry must be the original recipe and creative work of the entrant. No commercially machine made or third party purchased tamales are allowed to be entered.
1. The contest is open to all persons who are 18 years of age or older at the time of the entry and who reside in the state of Washington. Members of SW WA LULAC #47013, its subsidiaries and affiliates, participating sponsors/promotional partners, and/or their households are ineligible to participate or win. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
2. Winners must present a government issued photo identification card whose name matches that on the contest registration form in order to claim a prize.
3. Entrants are required to provide truthful information and SW WA LULAC #47013 will reject and delete an entry that it discovers to be false or fraudulent. SW WA LULAC #47013 will disqualify any entry from individuals who do not meet the eligibility requirements.
Three (3) prizes will be awarded:
1. Best Meat Tamale Category First Place Prize: One (1) Best Tamale category certificate and a gift card for $100.
2. Best No Meat/Vegetarian Tamale Category First Prize: One (1) Best Tamale category certificate and a gift card for $100.
3. Best Sweet/Dessert Tamale Category First Prize: One (1) Best Tamale category certificate and a gift card for $100.
The prize will be delivered to the winner at the SW WA Tamale Festival event premises unless winner requests prize be mailed to their attention. As such, the prize will be mailed to the winner, to the address specified on winner’s original entry form, within fourteen (14) business days following the contest. SW WA LULAC #47013 is not responsible for the safe arrival of the prize.
HOW, WHAT, WHERE
On Saturday, June 29th, 2019, all pre-registered entrants will bring 12 fully cooked tamales, from the category in which they were entered, between the hours of 12:00 and 1:00 PM. Tamales are to be delivered at the contest promises scheduled to take place at Reflection Plaza, 100 NE Pendleton Way, Washougal, WA 98671 (Pendleton and Main Street).
Failure to submit your tamales in the category in which you registered during the designated times listed leads to disqualification from the contest. No exceptions will be made.
Each contestant will submit one dozen (12) fully-cooked tamales for the official judging, which begins at 1:00 PM at the contest location premises. Each contestant must sign in with SW WA Tamale Festival personnel no later than 30 minutes before the start of the judging or they will be disqualified.
Any contestant who does not have their fully-cooked tamales at this time will be disqualified. Contests should be following food safety & cooking regulations outlined at both WA state & local county public health. More information can be found on food safety via WA State Department of Health:
A panel of five (5) judges will each taste the entries for each category. Judges will determine the winner of each category by assessing taste, technique, appearance and overall quality of the tamale. Ten (10) points will be assigned to each of the criteria for a maximum possible score of 40 points. In each of the three categories, the entry with the highest total score will with the first prize for that category. In the event of a tie, the judges will re-taste each of the tied entries and assign a score to each tied entry in the same manner described above and the total scores during the re-tasting will determine the winner.
Contestants must be present at the tamale judging to win. winners will be announced at approximately 3:00 PM to 3:30 PM on the day of the event. Winners are strongly encouraged to be present at the time of the announcement; however, if they are not present, the winners will be notified via telephone or email. An alternate winner will not be selected.
Winners must execute and return an affidavit of eligibility and/or liability/publicity release on June 29, 2019, at the time of tamale contest submission for judging.
1. Payments of all federal, state and local taxes are solely the responsibility of the winners.
2. By participating in the contest, the winners agree to have their name, voice or likeness used in any advertising or broadcasting of material relating to this contest without additional financial or other compensation, and, where legal, to sign a publicity release confirming such consent prior to acceptance of the prize.
3. Prior to awarding any prize, SW WA LULAC #47013 in its sole discretion may require contest winners to sign a liability release, agreeing to hold SW WA LULAC #47013, its parent and affiliated corporations, and their officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives of each of them harmless against any and all claims or liability arising directly or indirectly from the prize or participation in the contest.
4. SW WA LULAC #47013, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process, the operation of its website or is otherwise in violation of the rules. It further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the contest if it is not capable of completion as planned.
5.SW WA LULAC #47013 reserves the right to modify, postpone, or cancel the SW WA Tamale Festival Contest &/or Festival event for any reason or due to weather conditions on that event timeframe. Refunds will not be allowed after June 1, 2019.
6.SW WA LULAC #47013 reserves the right to make changes in the rules of the contest, including the substitution of a prize of equivalent value, which will become effective upon announcement. If due to circumstances beyond the control of SW WA LULAC #47013, any competition or prize-related event is delayed, rescheduled, postponed or canceled, SW WA LULAC #47013 reserves the right, but not the obligation to cancel or modify the contest and shall not be required to award a substitute prize.
7. Failure to comply with the contest rules may result in a contestant’s disqualifications solely at the discretion of SW WA LULAC #47013.
8. SW WA LULAC #47013 is not responsible for typographical errors in the printing, the offering or the administration of the contest or in the announcement of the prize. By providing contact information & signature listed below, Contestant agrees to official contest rules for SW WA Tamale Festival.